Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Blog Assignment #1: Introduction


My friends will tell you that I am creative, a morning person, an animal lover, a good cook, etc.

One thing most people don't know about me is I haven't always wanted to be a teacher. When I was in elementary school, I wanted to be a police officer. I'm still fascinated by prisons and would love to teach a creative writing workshop to inmates.
.
Five years from now, I will own rather than rent a home. I want a house with a red door.

A famous person I admire is Margaret Atwood because she writes the sorts of novels I'd like to write.

The bravest thing I ever did was rappel from a bridge without the aid of a mechanical device.

I really need to get back to Gold's Gym. My fees get automatically deducted from my checking account every month, but I don't go. It's a bit like a fat tax.

My favorite class is every class I get the opportunity to teach.

My friends make me laugh when they do spot-on celebrity impersonations. I laugh harder when they imitate me.

My pet peeve is people who spout opinions with no evidence to back their assertions.

When I am sad, I eat things that are bad for me in copious quantities. I firmly believe that Fazzari's pizza is the solution to many of life's problems.

The most stressful thing in my life is my commute.  I live half of the week in Spokane and half of the week in Lewiston. My fiance teaches at a community college in Spokane. Sometimes I feel a little like a gypsy. I am always in transit, with a carload of clothing, school-related items, and my dog, Zeke. My year-old car has over 22,000 miles on it.

The most influential person in my life is my grandmother.

If I had one hundred dollars, I would take my sweetie on a sushi and movie date.

I am named for a nurse on a soap opera my mom used to watch.

It is difficult to learn student names. I'm terrible with names. I meet over 100 new students every semester, and my brain can't process all those names. It will take me awhile. Be patient with me. If you post photos on your blog, that will help  Also, if you see me on campus, smile, point to yourself, and say your name. I'll soon remember you :)

I have no regrets about watching TV. My favorite TV series are the gritty ones on Showtime and HBO. Breaking Bad is probably my recent favorite. On cable, I'm a fan of silly shows like Pawn Stars, Storage Wars, and Duck Dynasty.

A friend once showed me how to do African dance. As with all other forms of dance, I'm not so good at it...

I like alternative music on the XM Alternative Nation station, particularly alt-J, Daft Punk, American Authors, Imagine Dragons, Of Monsters and Men, etc.

My favorite color is red.

One dish I can cook well is jambalaya.

My favorite place on earth is a three-way tie between Idaho, Montana, and New Orleans.



Meet Charles, one of the coolest cats on the planet. He's one of my two furry children (the other being my dog, Zeke, who is a German Shepherd/Pitbull cross).









2 comments:

  1. My dog Ruby is a german shepard/ rottweiler. Glad to see there is someone else out there that finds love for a dog known to be "aggressive". I think it's hog wash. my dog is scared of her own shadow. haha. She is always smelling too. Does your dog do that? It is a german shep traight, which is why they are such good cop dogs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I've never seen any aggression on Zeke's part. Or more accurately, when he has shown aggression, I believe it to be well-placed (i.e. he was protecting his family in one instance from a man who put his hand inside our car).He also tends to put dogs in their place if the dogs are too friendly and sniff his back side for what he deems too long. And yes, he's got quite the nose. It can be annoying sometimes on walks, as he wants to stop often, and I'm out for the aerobic part of walking :)

      Delete